Cooking is a skill that works just like anything else; the more you do it, the better you get at it. And the less exposure you have to it, the more intimidating it can seem.
Enter meal kit delivery, the service that helps bridge the gap between aspiring chefs and delectable meals. Meal kit delivery makes cooking more approachable by bringing you everything you need to cook a restaurant-inspired meal in the comfort of your own home. It’s an ideal solution for young couples, busy families, and people just learning their way around the kitchen.
What is a meal kit delivery service?
Meal kit delivery is an online service that delivers ready-to-cook meals right to your door. It’s a fast, fun, and easy way to solve your weeknight dinner fatigue and to learn some new skills. Here’s how it works:
- Select the meals you’d like to try online
- Pay for your order in advance
- Receive the ingredients to your home
- Cook your meals following easy-to-read instructions
There are a lot of meal kit delivery services out there now, each with its own niche. Use this guide to help you find out which meal kit delivery service is best for you!
Your ultimate guide to meal kit delivery services
Best for: Foodie couples living a low-waste lifestyle
Fresh Prep is a B.C.-based company on a mission to reduce food waste across the province. They offer locally sourced produce from small farmers and many of their recipes feature artisanal, local Canadian products.
They’re committed to making their meals as eco-friendly as possible as well. All orders are delivered in a reusable cooler bag, with some of their recipes coming in zero-waste kits completely free of plastic.
What plans are available on Fresh Prep?
Fresh Prep has two main plans available:
- 2-person meals: 2 servings per week of 2-4 meals, designed for couples or individuals
- Family plans: 4 servings per week of 2-4 meals, designed for families of 4
How much does Fresh Prep cost?
Prices range from $10.00 to $12.25 per serving depending on the number of recipes you have delivered each week, with the max being 4 servings of 4 recipes per week.
Where can I get Fresh Prep?
Fresh Prep is available in British Columbia in the following cities: Greater Vancouver, Greater Victoria, Nanaimo, and the Okanagan.
3 Fresh Prep Recipes to Try
Best for: Adventurous eaters with a refined palette
Bold flavors, creative recipes, and exciting new produce you’ve never heard of before – this is what you can expect when you order a meal kit delivery box from Goodfood.
Their menu is extensive with options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each week. You can choose smoothies, soup, sheet pan recipes, and even Clean15 meals, meals designed with health in mind. Goodfood meals tend to require a bit more cooking knowledge, making it a great choice for those who already feel comfortable in the kitchen, but want to explore some new flavors.
What plans are available on Goodfood?
Goodfood currently has 3 plans available:
- Easy-Prep Basket: Includes easy-prep recipes that come with pre-cut ingredients helping to streamline the cooking experience
- Classic Basket: The standard option with access to all Goodfood meals each week
- Family Basket: Includes family-friendly meal options designed with kids in mind
How much does Goodfood cost?
Goodfood prices range from $9.13 to $12.74 per serving on their standard plans listed above. They also have L’artisan meals that can cost up to $30 per serving and feature high-end ingredients like filets mignon and tiger shrimp.
Where can I get Goodfood?
This meal kit delivery service is currently offered in cities throughout Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, and the Maritimes.
3 Goodfood recipes to try
- Espresso rubbed steaks with cilantro chimichurri
- Dutch baby pancake with lemon-ricotta whip & berries
- Pesto-crusted salmon
Best for: Young families with picky eaters
Chefs Plate meals are no-fuss, simple, and straightforward. They’re a budget-friendly meal kit delivery service that is designed with busy families and picky eaters in mind.
They offer more than 20 recipes to choose from each week that range from simple to select. They also offer special meals including “15-minute” selections that can be whipped up quickly on a weeknight as well as “Balanced” meals that include at least 20g protein, less than 15g saturated fat, and clocks in at under 100g carbohydrates.
What plans are available on Chefs Plate?
Chefs Plate has 3 plans available:
- Meat & vegetables: This is the standard option and includes a selection of both and meat and veggie-forward meals each week
- Family Friendly: The family-friendly option includes simple meals that kids will enjoy
- Vegetarian: The vegetarian plan includes a selection of meat-free meals
How much does Chefs Plate cost?
The cost per serving on this meal kit delivery service will range anywhere from $8.99 to $9.99, making it an affordable choice for people on a budget.
Where can I get Chefs Plate?
Chefs Plate is available in most Canadian provinces including Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Manitoba.
3 Chefs Plate recipes to try
Best for Fast-paced people who are new to cooking
HelloFresh is one of the most popular meal kit delivery services in the world. They offer a wide variety of meal options that are both unique and approachable to help build confident new cooks in the kitchen.
Choose from over 30 meals each week featuring seasonal ingredients and favorites like Beyond Meat. HelloFresh is best for people looking for a meal kit delivery service that offers exciting meals without lots of fancy ingredients. It’s a great way to start learning your way around the kitchen if cooking is brand new to you.
What plans are available on HelloFresh?
There are 4 plans to choose from with HelloFresh:
- Meat & Veggies: This is their classic plan and includes a selection of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals
- Family Friendly: The family-friendly option includes 20-minute meal options that can be prepared in a breeze
- Smart Meals: This health-conscious plan has a selection of meals that are under 650 calories and/or less than 50g of net carbs
- Vegetarian: Meat-free meal offerings with fresh, seasonal ingredients
How much does HelloFresh cost?
HelloFresh meals will run you anywhere from $9.69 to $11.49 a serving depending on the number of meals and servings per box.
Where can I get HelloFresh?
You can currently get HelloFresh in 8 provinces across Canada – Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Québec, Newfoundland, and the Maritimes.
3 HelloFresh recipes to try
Which meal kit delivery service is right for you?
The answer depends on what you’re looking for. Want to feed a family of hard-to-please eaters? You may want to try Chefs Plate. Love exploring new kinds of food? Goodfood may have just what you need.
No matter what choice you go with, however, rest assured you’ll get to experience the joys of cooking without the hassle of going to the store. You may even learn a thing or two along the way.